-Demonstrate competency in the 6Cs (Collaboration, Communication, Critical Thinking, Conscientious Learning, and Cultural Competence):
Express ideas effectively through
• written and oral assignments
• visual and performing arts
• project-based activities
• individual and collaborative efforts
Design, evaluate, prioritize, and implement appropriate solutions by
• initiating ideas for assignments and cross-curricular themes
• identifying goals and fulfilling them
• using technology for research, presentation, and productivity
• developing strategies for success, taking individual learning styles into consideration
• evaluating both sides of issues, defending personal views clearly and effectively
• experiencing such real-world occurrences as internships, jobs, and community service
Form healthy social relationships and work effectively by
• forming student-teacher relationships based on trust and sharing
• accepting both success and failure as part of the learning process
• developing good study habits and seeking help when needed
• participating in school and community events
Live with integrity, exhibit social responsibility, and respect values of others by
• doing honest, authentic work
• making choices beneficial to the community
• collaborating with different types of people
• appreciating global communities, and cultural and religious diversity
• taking risks and exploring opportunities to discover personal talent
B.A. IN SOCIOLOGY, MINOR IN PSYCHOLOGY SONOMA STATE UNIVERSITY
M.A. IN EDUCATIONAL ADMINISTRATION SONOMA STATE UNIVERSITY
MCSAA OUTSTANDING HIGH SCHOOL ADMINISTRATOR 2011
District III CCEA ADMINISTRATOR OF THE YEAR 2016
Hello, families and community members!
Welcome to the 2017-2018 school year!
As I begin my eleventh year as the administrator of Alternative Education in Novato, I am filled with excitement as our District continues to emphasize the Graduate Profile, focusing on 21st Century Learning and the 6 Cs. Twenty-first century learning emphasizes the growth of the whole student—not only content knowledge, but also a variety of skills. These life skills contribute to competitiveness in a global economy; healthy lifestyles; and a well-informed, productive citizenry. At the Hill Education Center, every staff member from every program is passionate about education, strongly believing that all students can be successful. Every senior and every eighth grade student is expected to complete a Project Based Learning presentation, and will have an opportunity to present these projects to our community at PBL Exhibition Night on May 2, 2018 (seniors) or Exhibition Day on May 3, 2018 (8th graders). I believe the home/school partnership is critical to a positive educational experience. Parents can do their part by sending us well-rested students who realize that school is, first and foremost, a place for learning. Our job, in turn, is to provide a safe, supportive environment; identify and develop strengths; and address concerns so all of our students can experience success.
Hill Education Center offers a number of enrichment programs for all students. Bridges, one of the most comprehensive programs offered, is for students who are interested in learning soft skills, taking college courses, and earning units toward a certificate in a vocation of their choice. To learn more about Bridges, please contact the front office and inquire about the application process. Beginning in September, every family should receive an eNewsletter from Hill Education Center. If you are not on the mailing list, please contact the front office to be added. The newsletter will include important updates about the Graduate Profile, growth mindset, college information and tours, internship opportunities, and many more items.
On a personal note, I have strong connections to this community.
I grew up in Novato, graduated from Novato High School, and returned to Novato High as a teacher in 2002. I absolutely love Novato and enjoy raising my children here.
Thank you for your support and partnership in helping to ensure that all students are prepared for post-secondary education and beyond. I look forward to another successful school year.
Set in the rolling hills of Novato, NOVA Independent Study boasts a beautiful campus with spectacular views of nature, a vibrant campus, and welcoming staff. We hope you’ll take the time to visit our community and see everything that NOVA Independent Study has to offer!